I absolutely loved this conversation with Inclusion Architect and export Toby Mildon.
In what was a hopeful, constructive and forward-looking conversation, we touched on inclusion, belonging, awareness, culture, leadership and so much more.
Some key insights included:
– “Diversity includes everybody. We need to make sure that everybody, every single person, is included and taken on the journey because it is only when businesses reflect the communities in which they’re based and the talent that’s around them, and the communities in which they serve, that they become high-performing businesses” – 03.10
“Sometimes I like to be sarcastic by saying that I will write the business case for you (D&I) when you write the business case why we should hire non-disabled people” – 09.45
“My recommendation is to use reverse mentoring with someone from a different background. Lean back, lean forward and step in” – 38.30
– “What three talking points do you need to give to your Chief Executive so that they are able to talk confidently from a podium about why diversity & inclusion is important to the organisation” – 04.40
– “(D&I) The business case is that it is the right thing to, we are talking about human rights. We should be creating businesses that enable anybody to work in the business regardless of their background so that they can come and contribute their best work so that the business thrives” – 09.00
– “My tip to anyone that wants to progress D&I in their organisation is to find out what language sticks within the business and speak that language in order to get your message across” – 12.00
– “The reason why I like co-creation is because so many organisations when they implement D&I it’s usually done from the HR department, done to people in the organisation, rather than down with” – 15.20
Toby can be contacted via the following means:
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website – https://www.mildon.co.uk/
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/tobymildon/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/tobymildon
Toby Mildon is a Diversity & Inclusion Architect and founder of Mildon, a consultancy and advisory business. Toby works with businesses to re-engineer processes and systems to minimise the impact of bias and build a culture of inclusion. Prior to setting up his business, Toby worked as an in-house diversity and inclusion manager at the BBC and Deloitte.